Monday, March 13, 2006

Good people are still around

A relative of mine is a rebbi in a fairly popular school in a large Orthodox community. He told me the following story.

It seems that the custom in this school (and many others) is that parents send a gift or a small cash token of appreciation to the rebbi around Purim time, if they feel he earned it. This past week a man came over to him after school.

"You probably don't recognize me, but I'm a parent of a student that was in your class six years ago. I really appreciate the job you did with my son back then. I remember that you were out of town for Purim that year. I was quite relieved when I heard you were leaving, because I was going through some very rough financial difficulties at the time. I want you to know that it has bothered me all this time. Recently I've hit the big time, and I want to show my appreciation.

He handed him a nice, large check.

There are still some good people around.

They're out there.