Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Pray

Just want to remind everyone to take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to say some Tehillim for Gilad ben Aviva (Gilad Shalit, the kidnapped soldier), and for Eliyahu ben Miriam Asheri. Try to imagine them as your brothers, then stop imagining. They are your brothers. They need our prayers.

At Ma'ariv last night, as they were saying Aleinu, I asked a fellow near me if he thought they would say Tehillim afterward. He shrugged and walked up to the Ba'al Tefillah and asked him if they would say some Tehillim. A small tumult ensued, some people said that you don't say Tehillim at night. I responded that if you really thought it was your brother, you'd be saying Tehillim regardless. But what was most shocking to me is that some of them had not even heard the story! They had no idea anything was going on!

Would you have heard about your brother's abduction?

Why didn't you?

Is it not important enough because it's happening a few thousand miles away?

I realize I can't fault someone for not hearing about something. Most people here don't own televisions and who has time to listen to the radio? The internet? I won't even go there. But I know this much; if it was your brother, you would know about it somehow.

And you would say Tehillim.

Even at night.

And while you're at it, add some tefillos for the rest of your extended family heading in to harm's way in Gaza. They can use them as well.

B'suros Tovos.