Sunday, June 18, 2006

"Feeling" Kedusha

I think we can all agree that the Kosel is a holy place, or at least very close to a holy place. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say that the first time they were there or every time they go there they just "felt" the Kedusha.

Sure, there's a strong emotional feeling and I felt it the first time I was there too, a feeling of awe, a sense of the history that happened in that very spot, but is that "feeling" kedusha?

I don't think so.

Of the people that believe they felt the kedusha at the Kosel or in Yerushalaim, I wonder, do they feel the kedusha of a Beis HaMedrash? When they go to shul every day or on Shabbos, do they feel the kedusha of the shul, a Mikdash Me'aat? I'd be happy to admit being wrong, but I doubt it.

What they (or we) are feeling is strong emotion, not a feeling of Kedusha in my opinion.