Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Slow down!

A young, frum girl was struck by a minivan in Lakewood last night driven by a frum woman. B"H she will be okay.

I don't, God forbid, mean to accuse the woman driver of anything. I honestly have no idea whose fault this was. The street is dark, the girl may have not seen the van, the driver may have not seen her, I don't know.

What I do know is that people speed down these suburban sidestreets like they're on a highway. I see this all the time (again, I am not referring to the driver in this case). There's a tremendous difference between 25 and 40 MPH. I see cars tearing through parking lots like they're stealing second base. You're in a rush? Is that really a reason to endanger lives?

I don't know what it is, but for some reason the frum population are in general, terrible drivers. I can't put my finger on why that would be, but it's something I've noticed all too often, and maybe you have as well. I can usually tell a frum driver from a distance and not just because the car is a Buick LeSabre.

For example, last night I pulled up to a red light behind a pickup truck driven by someone who certainly did not look Jewish. There were two lanes, the pickup was in the left lane. I stayed in the left lane behind the pickup truck and the guy pulling up behind me did the same (Right turn on red is permitted, so it's an unstated courtesy to leave the lane open for someone who would want to turn right). A young frum man in his Toyota Avalon pulls up in the right lane so that he can cut off everyone the instant before the light turns green. I mean really, are you in such a hurry? And if you are do you really think the 1/4 second you saved was worth the Chilul Hashem?

Slow down. Your lunch/dinner will still be warm a minute later.